- Generation X (I think I must be getting old because I just wanted to tell them to pull themselves together most of the time!)
- The Golden Notebook which I really enjoyed except the book literally came apart at the seams which was really really irritating because pages kept falling out. I suspect I may be investigating amazon’s returns policy. I say I enjoyed this book, I did find the whole male/female relationship thing very depressing, the whole class thing overly-conscious and I also wanted to tell quite a lot of them to pull themselves together quite a lot of the time (obviously tolerance has yet to break out in the land of Featherduster).
- Book three was Valley of the Dolls which is a perfectly trashy, marvellous holiday read. It actually went quite well with The Golden Notebook in terms of period and the really rather depressing cavalier attitude towards the sanctity of marriage (okay, now I’m beginning to sound like a Daily Mail reader…did the deep blue of the Aegean Sea turn me into a tory or something?Bloody hell)
- I also read some freebie-with-a-magazine type books which were largely rubbish.
Sadly, I did not find the perfect Greek Salad. I found a couple of reasonable ones but still nothing compares to those I ate on Naxos six years ago. I did however eat the most delicious octopus which came on a plate in the shape of a boat and I may try to work out how to upload a pic of it because it looked (and tasted) SO good.
I also snuck in a gyros – why do all the naughty things taste so delicious?
Ouzo – successfully avoided. A couple of slightly iffy Greek wines not quite so neatly dodged. Found some really decent Lefkada red though and have brought a bottle home although I suspect it may be like some Italian wines where you literally take them out of their local village and they turn to rancid horror.
I sat very still quite a lot of the time but I also:
- swam – IN THE SEA – very impressed with myself
- went on a boat trip and didn’t get sea sick
- walked up a waterfall – although my plan to swim in the waterfall was scuppered by a rather nubile Greek girl posing energetically for photos on a rock in some sort of Little Mermaid stylee and the fear of wrath from her boyfriend?/photographer? for my rather lardy arse form getting in the way